A shocking fire in one of Manchester’s most iconic buildings has been extinguished tonight.
There were up to seven fire engines in attendance at the Toast Rack on Old Hall Lane, Fallowfield after flames were seen flicking out of the top floor windows.
— @McrShield (@mcrshield) May 17, 2017
Manchester Fire told nearly residents to stay indoor and close windows, saying: “We were called at about 7.20pm to reports of a fire at a high-rise building in Old Hall Lane.”
“Six fire engines from Moss Side, Whitehill, Philips Park, Gorton and Withington were sent to the scene.”
Owners and developers Generation Ltd told Lovin Manchester at 8.30pm – after little more than an hour – that the fire had been put out by Manchester Fire.
Although emergency services had attended with an ambulance, there were no casualties as a result of the blaze.
Currently on site. Fire is now out thanks to @manchesterfire . Hopefully damage is minimal.
— Generation | Property Developer (@generation_ltd) May 17, 2017
Images of black fumes – like these captured by Sean Doherty and John Hesse’s friend Mark Hibbert on Facebook – were shared online of the seventh floor.
The recognisable Brutalist building is currently being refurbished.
— Sean Doherty (@WordOfDoherty) May 17, 2017
— John Hesse (@HouseOfHesse) May 17, 2017
— BeastieBiscuitsUK (@BeastieBUK) May 17, 2017
The Grade II Listed building was slated to be converted into 210 flats in 2016 according to MEN.
Generation Ltd – a subsidiary of Estrela Properties Ltd – tweeted last month that their development scheme had made it into a housing design shortlist.
— Generation | Property Developer (@generation_ltd) April 12, 2017
More as we get it.