It’s like Ant without Dec, salt without pepper, Liam without Noel – a dish without gravy just isn’t worth eating.
If you’re unsure about how serious us Northerners are about the meaty goodness of a slop of gravy on their plate, witness this evidence.
1. We got all excited about a gravy bar
Our GRAVY BAR IS OPEN!! Get in, get gravy. #MakeGravyGreatAgain
— Gravy Bar MCR (@gravybarmcr) April 1, 2017
Even though it was a big, fat lie. Sorry, ‘April Fool’.
2. It has its own aisle in our supermarket
— Adventurebaby (@Adventurebaby) June 11, 2017
It’s really more of a ‘main’ than a ‘condiment’.
3. Swanky bars have DIPPING gravy on their plates
Who is dining with us tonight? ???? WestCNR customers are entitled to 20% off cocktails down in the Corner Cocktail Club! ???? ???? Dippin to sippin pic.twitter.com/a4vLTmMwpr
— The Corner Boy NQ (@thecornerboynq) June 9, 2017
West Corner in the Northern Quarter is a pilgrimage.
4. Even utilities suppliers are in on it
— ElectricityNorthWest (@ElectricityNW) June 11, 2017
The biggest issues addressed online.
5. It’s for pouring on everything
Even when the crockery’s not prepared…
6. A burger with gravy won an invention competition
— Solita Restaurants (@SolitaNQ) April 14, 2017
Thick and rich, just like the beef. Mmmm…
7. We take a dislike of gravy VERY personally indeed
She was probably from daaahn Sarf.
8. Northerners actually believe it’s part of the fabric of society – literally
There is NO WHERE in London that does chippy like the North! Gravy so thick you could put up a wall and use it as cement!
— Oliver Bingham (@ollbing) June 5, 2017
‘Use it as cement’. It’s ‘cement’ to be in your tummy, mate ????
9. We understand the struggle is real
— Lucy Gibson (@lucygibson9) November 17, 2013
Who else gets homesick for the gravy?
10. There are legends about this incredible foodstuff
If they do, they’ve probably got Northern roots…